Labels

Adventures (1) Farm Life (8) Food (3) Literature (2) Music (1) Politics (3) Ramblings (10) who i am (9)

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Joy On a Frosty Day

(Preface:I tried to post this last night but about halfway through typing my comp started acting crazy so this is it, well part of it. Hope you enjoy!)

For this post I am just going to recall the past 60 hours of my life.

Tuesday Night:
Its approximately 8 pm when my sister come in from smoking her cancer stick saying, "I need your help, the animals are freaking out!" Naturally, after 8 years of farm life I jump up and dress for the weather. Keep in mind that I put on a thermal, hoodie(that was so tastefully tucked into my sweatpants), one huge wool jacket that makes anyone look like a lumberjack, two pairs of sucks, and nasty cold muck boots that were left on the porch all in about 2 minutes. I banter out the door, grab the flashlight off the picnic table and head straight for the pasture gate.

After flashing the light, two bales of hay, and a few good loud whistles the cattle come bounding up from the back pasture. Cows, especially pregnant ones, when presented with food are generally happy unless in distress. Well they ate, A LOT! We thought that maybe there was a cow going into labor, not so much.

Just for good measure walked the pasture, in the dark(the beautiful full moon was covered by giant evergreens), with the smell of skunk in the air, our flashlight dying, up to 12 inches of mud in places, and potentially some wild animal terrorizing my livestock. Oh goody! There was no newly birthed calf laying on the ground and nothing we could see so we headed back inside after putting the goats in the barn.

Wednesday:
I woke up late. Had to type a 1.5 page paper for my 9am class, got done doing so around 8. After peering out my window it dawned on me that my sister had not fed the cows. (this about where my comp started acting up.)

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment