Labels

Adventures (1) Farm Life (8) Food (3) Literature (2) Music (1) Politics (3) Ramblings (10) who i am (9)

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Brand New

I am going to give you a simple set of instructions and you should follow them exactly. An explanation will follow.

  1. Go somewhere absolutely quiet. If you own a laptop, take it somewhere away from everyone else. With a window if possible or even outside.
  2. Click on the link below. Let it load.
  3. While the link is loading, take a few deep breaths.
  4. Has it finished yet? Oh good. Push play.
  5. Immediately look outside or towards the sun.
  6. Now close your eyes.

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows

What'd you think? My hope is that you set absolutely no expectation and did not watch the video.

This band Brand New is amazing. I must say that I am in love with almost every song I have heard. I have looked up the lyrics and I know most from memory. The music was meant to be enjoyed. The words themselves are not enough. If all their lyrics went into a book I would read it from cover to cover. But for most people it would not be enough for them to get hooked like I am.

Not in a crazy psycho I stalk this band kind of way, just in love with the music. Every single beat is melodious and beautiful. It never gets old and tiring. The longer I listen to it on repeat it begins to sound like a lullaby and I feel soothed. I don't do it enough these days.

A few years ago when I felt like complete shat I was walking home from the bus listening to my ipod. The album Deja Entendu was made for that cold winter day. It was dry and sunny, and I smiled the whole way home because nothing mattered but that moment. That's the same feeling I get when I hear them today.

I will have to admit that music for me is an escape. Blah Blah. "You're not supposed to run from your problems" etc. I know, HOWERVER-of all things to use to escape reality, music is by far the best. I just can't let it go. When I'm fifty and all the bands are tecnologic and enhanced like the amazing Lady Gaga, I will be listening to cds from Brand New.

-Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment