Labels

Adventures (1) Farm Life (8) Food (3) Literature (2) Music (1) Politics (3) Ramblings (10) who i am (9)

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Mmp tis mmp tis mmp tis

I have finally upgraded from my middle school xanga account! I think that's pretty damn exciting.

Fantab news yesterday; the four cows we thought were bred and due any time now are actually only 3 -5 months preggers. Which unfortunately means winter calves. Translation: I have to rearrange and restack 14.7 tons of hay so that we can build stalls in the barn for calving in December. I lied that's not fantastic, it blows. That's just been the swing of things lately.

Everytime I think I've got things under control, the North Wind blows. For instance, I'm working at the Eugene Livestock Auction every Saturday and the second Sunday of each month. My official title is "Livestock Handler". I like it, it's fun. The only downer is that's once a week, 8-10 hours at minimum wage. It's just enough to cover gas for the month plus $40. Since its minimal work I applied for a part-time postion driving combines for a guy out ot Crescent Valley. I got the job about two weeks ago, but have yet to be trained on the equipment. 0 hours! Bah! Some job I must say.

Did I mention that I am a mondo fan of Craigslist, I have managed quite a few bargains! A few months ago I was checkin out the site and noticed everyone was selling their cattle, I thought that was a bit odd since Fall is the best time to sell calves. Didn't think much of it. I started workin at the auction about a month ago now, and horse sales are goin way up. You can buy a perfectly healthy and saddle broken Thoroughbred gelding for $300!!! Who woulda thunk? To sum this up, I'm not getting any work in the hay fields, because the people that usually buy all the hay have been selling their animals. No demand. Prices for hay are down too, but i'm still broke! yay for being a college student in the summer.

Try not to let this post taint your thoughts on my blog, I usually don't complain this much ever. Hope I can keep some people interested.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, so I always hear about the Corvallis paper hiring people. I know it's not quite what you're going into-- but it's work and I hear they hire a lot of entry level stuff.
    Just a heads up! :)

    Also, Brain and Bird have blogs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for tips! I'll be sure to look into it.

    ReplyDelete