Labels

Adventures (1) Farm Life (8) Food (3) Literature (2) Music (1) Politics (3) Ramblings (10) who i am (9)

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Pay It Forward

You know the cute movie with Haley Joel Osmett(I may or may not have spelled that wrong, no matter), I loved it. One of my favorite movies, it has gotten a bit old over the years but it's a goody. The concept of paying it forward and doing selfless acts when others really need it. It's ingenious.

I have never really done anything big, just the small things. Pulling over when I see a car stranded and asking if they're ok or need help. On Monday night, which happened to be super hectic due to a certain little sister who I love dearly but frustrates me beyond belief, I went to the grocery store for a few things. Whatever. When I was finished shopping I took my cart to the checkstand aisle and waited pateintly. It then became clear that I was not the only one shopping for dinner on a Monday night. We had Jumbalaya over rice, YUM!

A considerably older man with a driveable cart got in line behind me. It was pretty evident that he had poor vision, I was tipped off by how thick his glasses were. I figured hey what the hell, I'm just standing here. I offered to help him unload his groceries. Honestly I was a bit concerned about offering since some elderly are offended when there disadvantages are pointed out. That was not the case here, he appreciative. And that was that. He said "thank you", I said "your welcome". Then the old man said something that stuck me.

"I'll be sure to pay it forward when I can. You know what that means don't you?"

Mostly I was impressed. It reminded me that there are still people who appreciate the little things and realize that the little things add up to big ones. After that, I quit thinking about how crummy the day was going and just smiled the whole time as I pushed my cart out to the Beast.

I love when life makes me smile so genuinely.

No comments:

Post a Comment